Vegetarian burgers are sadly not very good, even at the best burger joints. Especially in Spain. ‘Hamburgesas’ aren’t very good, or healthy. So when I wanted to introduce my kids to burgers, I wanted them to be healthy and tasty. So I made these Curried lentil burgers with Greek yogurt on whole wheat burger buns. The patties are so yummy, that you wouldn’t miss the meat at all.
Curried Lentil Burger
Brown lentils – 1/2 cup, cooked and drained
Onion – 1, diced finely
Carrot – 1, diced finely
Fresh ginger minced – 1 tsp
Green chili minced – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg – 1
Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
Oil, for pan frying
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the onion and carrot. Cook until tender about 3 minutes, and add the ginger, cumin, coriander, pepper and salt. Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the lentils, egg and half of the breadcrumbs and mix well, till the mixture comes together.
3. Shape into patties of desired size.
4. Drench in the remaining breadcrumbs.
5. Pan fry in oil, till golden brown on both sides.
6. Serve on burger buns, with a slice of onion, tomato and lettuce. I skipped the mayo and slathered the bun with greek yogurt.