This is my go-to chocolate cake. Ina Garten’s Beatty’s chocolate cake. I’ve made it many times now, and finally I’ve found the version that works for me. Get the recipe from the link, but try these variations.
1. If you don’t find buttermilk (I’ve never found it in Madrid) try yogurt thinned down with some water.
2. I find one cup of coffee in the batter too strong for my taste. Cut it by half, and still the cake will be yummy and moist.
3. It’s a good, light chocolate cake even without the frosting, as a tea/coffee cake.
4. If you do decide to frost the cake, then use less instant coffee powder: 1 teaspoon instead of the 1 tablespoon. Trust me, that way the coffee is just right.
5. Add a pinch of sea salt when you are melting the chocolate. It tastes awesome on the icing!
6. I bought the sugar flowers. If you are good with the piping bag, you can do fancy shapes and all.
7. Make cupcakes and serve with the same frosting!
Let me know what you think!